This course is presented year-round and is designed to empower you to be able to leave with the required knowledge to succeed in your new business venture. This course will help you to apply basic beef cattle production skills to your farm to ensure that your venture is as profitable as possible. It will help the new and existing farmer to attain a high level of success in production. You will spend two days visiting working farms, the remaining three days will consist of theory, including completing a workbook.
The following Unit Standards will be covered:
- Identify basic breeding practices for farm animals – US 116107: NQF L2, Credits 5
- Understand animal nutrition – US 116055: NQF L2, Credits 7
- Module 1: Cattle breeds and breeding (breeds, selection criteria, etc).
- Module 2: Nutrition for the beef herd (basic anatomy, digestibility of feed, energy value, types of feed, supplements, feeding programme, etc).
- Module 3: Veld management (South African vegetation, grasses, stocking rates, grazing, fodder banks, etc).
- Module 4: Animal health care (immunisation schedule, diseases).
- Module 5: Reproduction (sexual behaviour, mating, calving, etc).
- Module 6: Beef production management (infrastructure, handling cattle, financial management, marketing, etc).
Duration: 5 days
Starting time: 9am – 3pm
Cost: R5 500 per person (VAT include)
Venue: 7 Van Wouw Street, Groenkloof, Pretoria
Included in the price:
- Learner Manual, Moderation, Certification
- Tea, Coffee and Rusk at arrival
- Light Lunch
Please note: Portfolio of Evidence (workbook) will be completed in class for the 5-day course.
Contact us for more information.