- Matric certificate.
- Learners who do not have a matric certificate should complete the National Certificate NQF Level 4 in Plant or Animal Production first.
- Should be living or working on a farm – proof of some experience.
- Theoretical training will be done via distance learning or contact sessions at Cullinan. Learners can also use the Cullinan farm for practical experience.
- Workplace experience and theoretical training @ Cullinan Farm.
- Learners attend scheduled theoretical sessions at our Cullinan training centre and have the opportunity to do workplace experience on the farm.
- Learners must identify other workplace opportunities at other farms.
- Starting date for our full time students – February 2021.
Learners can choose a combination of distance and full time methods. Attend theory training sessions at Cullinan and do workplace experience on their own site or farm.
Practical workplace guideline
Learners who do not have a formal workplace will be able to register for the Diploma if you commit to a combination of the following practical guidelines during your 2-year course:
- Learners will be able to make use of the Agri Skills Cullinan Farm Training Centre, to do practical on weekends and public holidays.
- Learners, who have space in their backyard, can start a small animal or plant project (piggery, poultry, aquaculture, hydroponics, herb growing, beekeeping, aquaponics etc.). These projects will serve as practical and students will keep logbooks on their projects.
- Learners can work on family farms.
- Learners can work overseas in the agricultural industry.
- Learners can get involved in Agricultural Community Projects.
- Learners can also log visits to livestock auctions, farmer’s days, information days at different companies, as well as any other educational events.
We hope that the above guidelines will enable more students to follow their dream and be able to start a career in agriculture.
- Learners can do 4 months of practical per year at our Cullinan Farm Training Centre.
- Over the 2-year course a learner can complete 8 months of practicals with us.
- Learners can do their practical session during any of the below blocks (booking essential):
- February – May
- June – September
- October – January
- During the 2-year course a learner must complete a total of 14 months of practical. Therefore, a learner must complete 6 months of practicals at their own site.
- The space per session (including accommodation – extra cost) is limited, please make sure to book your preferred session early (only 12 – 15 allowed per session).
- All National Diploma learners must complete a logbook to keep record of their practical experience.
- It is essential that you start your logbook as soon as you start doing your practical.
- Logbooks are completed daily.
- As adult learners it is your responsibility to keep your logbook up to date and to get the necessary person/s to sign if off.
- You must log 14 months of practical during your 2-year course.
Download the Cullinan Farm brochure
Download enrolment forms